17 May 2011

expression of faith


Our faith should be expressed in working toward a better planet for our children and not the selfish, juvenile hope for a better afterlife for ourselves. I don't think anyone is going to Hell because it only exists in the minds of people who wish ill-will on others. 
- Greg Graffin, PhD, lead singer of Bad Religion


The above-referenced quote eloquently sums up how I feel about faith.  I have always maintained that I believe in the basic foundations of Christianity:  charity (read:  supporting and/or helping others in need - volunteering or otherwise), respect for others (read: acknowledging that others have a difference of opinion, be of a different creed, religion, race or orientation -  but it doesn't necessarily mean they're evil or damned for eternity) and  the "golden rule" (read: I hope I don't have to explain this).  However, I don't believe current evolution of Christianity (rather, I feel it's regressed a few centuries, nor to I support its doctrine and the organization it has become.  

Thus, I question my own religious (or lack of) beliefs on a fairly regular basis.  Even as a teenager, I questioned the purpose of going to church - which would explain why I went to the mall instead.  To use the cliche:  going to church doesn't make you a Christian any more than sitting in a garage makes you a car. I  feel many  people use attending church to profess their faith and to validate that they are a good person.  It begs the question: why must one go to a service to profess one's faith?  Shouldn't one do something worthwhile for humanity rather than recite a creed in a church pew? (honestly, that seems somewhat cult-like to me).

A couple years ago, I posed the following, somewhat related scenario to my friend who is a professor of theology (for sake of argument, Jesus did exist):  
Let's say I have one hour per week to spare.  I can either go to church or volunteer in my community.  What would Jesus prefer me to do?
Her response:  Jesus would want you to volunteer. 

Mind you, this is not why I have been involved in a volunteer organization for nearly two decades.  Although I have told my parents more than once, "some people go to church, I go to Circle K/Kiwanis".   Dad has accepted this; Mom is waiting for me to attend church again. 

Now, I never got anything out of going to church (I think that's glaringly apparent).  However, volunteering is quite the opposite - helping those in need, fostering support for our fellow humans (and animals), working for the common/greater good and perhaps leaving the planet in better shape than when I got here.  

If you want to label that "faith", that's how I choose to express it.




No comments:

Post a Comment