02 January 2012

from home to home and back...

this past holiday week, I made the 12.5 hour (25 hours round trip) trek from Milwaukee to Potomac and back.  that's quite a lot of time in a vehicle alone, and thus my mind decided to wander.  below are some observations from the road and my visit, complete with the quirky randomness I so enjoy...

  • the Chicago skyline is awesome regardless of the time of day (or night)
  • Gary, Indiana is still a stinkhole
  • "Killing an Arab" by the Cure will likely never be heard on US radio (or radio in general) again, but it will on my iPod 
  • the "mountains" of Pennsylvania seemed way more daunting when I was six.  I'm sure they're not "mountains" in the true sense
  • even though i can make the dish myself, Mom's mac-n-cheese tastes way better when she makes it
  • one can never listen to the John Denver & the Muppets Christmas CD enough 
  • my nephews are still freakin' cute
  • Gavin is my brother's mini-me.  Liam, on the other hand, has channeled is auntie as a two (and three) year old.  I've already apologized for this
  • a four year old boy and truly move at the speed of light to avoid "Santa"
  • "Santa" was cool as a kid because he brought toys.  he's even cooler as an adult because now he brings bottles of rum
  • watching "A Christmas Story" with Mom (while drinking Bailey's) every year never gets old
  • screw a white Christmas.  I'll take a 50 degree green Christmas anyday...
  • my aunt called me "cutie".  maybe one day it will resonate (I still maintain that tall, linebacker-built people like myself cannot be "cute")
  • within a period of two years, I have become taller than my uncle
  • compliments are great, especially when they come from unlikely sources
  • there is such a thing as "bad" stuffing and "too sweet" sweet potatoes
  • the Loss clan is apparently overwhelming even if you're dealt with them for 45 years
  • my brother is way more like our dad than he'd care to admit
  • in a room full of trains designed to mesmerize children and enthusiasts alike, I find the Cerberus (three-headed dog) train and a sign that reads "No Humping"
  • my legs are freakishly short for my height
  • Jim Vance is the shit.  I'd have a beer with him
  • Mom and I don't like shopping, but we sure love Target 
  • despite not living in the area, I still drive like a native Washingtonian and have a pronounced Maryland "o"
  • it's still weird for me to see Ravens jerseys all across Maryland.  growing up it was still Redskins country
  • Tilted Kilt is better than Hooters.  yes I wrote that
  • the only way I'd be able to fit into a Tilted Kilt "uniform" is if I didn't eat for five months.  that's not gonna happen
  • my dad asked me how much air I liked in my tires (prior to getting it checked before my return trip).  I almost responded "I like my tires like my men...hard".  parental filter success
  • it is possible for a cute, little Scottie to be incredibly annoying.  ask Caye
  • Maryland crab cakes are the shit
  • it's ok for Rutgers to upset #10 Kansas, but NOT ok for Vandy to upset #13 Marquette in the same evening
  • watching Marquette games with Mom rarely turns out favorably
  • Mom sent me home with over three dozen cookies.  if she only knew...
  • my iPod has a thing for Erasure
  • Bryan Adams is still great driving music.  so is Chicago...this chick digs Cetera
  • stupid drivers are bred everywhere...slower traffic keep right and pass on the left...fucktards
  • it is still necessary to "salute" any billboard promoting Indiana University.  especially if it involves men's basketball (here's why)
  • the College Football Hall of Fame is in South Bend...who knew?
  • if Newark, New Jersey is the armpit of the USA, then Gary, Indiana is the bunghole
  • Chicago rush hour sucks.  Tastykakes made it a little better
  • it is possible for a dog to stay awake the duration of a road trip 
  • I am incredibly lucky to have fabulous friends and family in my life
  • Mom is a truly amazing woman.  I could only hope to handle myself with such positivity, poise and grace as she has
  • I am unfortunate enough to have two places I can call home

No comments:

Post a Comment