20 August 2012

i am a liberal



A self-admitted conservative (and yes, a friend of mine) wrote “common sense, morals, responsibility, hard working...so glad Mitt went with Paul Ryan”.  To me, this implies these words only refer to the conservative persuasion. Ergo...

I am a liberal.  I am not a party voter, but if you checked my voting record, I vote Democrat 95% of the time.

I am a hard-working individual, having been in the workforce since I was sixteen. I will be happy to share my tax returns with you to prove it.

Alternatively, I have also collected unemployment in the course of my life.  This does not make me a bottom-feeder or a detriment to society.  I worked my ass off looking for a job during my four months off. I believe that welfare should only be a stage in life, not a way of life.

I am pro-choice. This does not make me immoral. Every person and every situation is different. While I likely would not encourage abortion, it’s not my body or my life.  Furthermore, it should be a viable (and safe) option in the cases of rape & incest, the health of the mother and/or the quality of life of the unborn.

I possess common sense.  Even my conservative friends will agree, penning me a “common sense liberal”. Why?  I understand that the budget needs to be balanced and the country as a whole needs to curb spending. I just disagree in HOW they want to balance the budget – largely on the backs of the middle class, poor and elderly.

I am a liberal. And I’m damn proud of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment