20 August 2009

schadenfreude

Schadenfreude: pleasure derived from the misfortunes of others or simply put, happiness at the misfortune of others.

"Wow, that IS German!" I can say that, I'm 1/2 German. And after meeting some of my German relatives, I can verify that it is scarily accurate. Yet this concept (or phenomenon, if you will) has transcended far beyond one ethnic group....right into the very fibers of our society and culture.

American society as a whole was introduced to the concept "schadenfreude" through pop culture as early as 1991 thanks to The Simpsons. Lisa asks Homer if he's ever heard of schadenfreude after he is excessively happy that Ned Flanders' business is failing. Defining it for him, she says, "It's a German term for "shameful joy", taking pleasure in the suffering of others." The word/concept has also appeared in other hit shows, including Malcolm in the Middle. If you've seen that show, it shouldn't shock you. Malcolm seems to be based upon that very premise.

However, most people became familiar with the term by way of Avenue Q; the Broadway musical that can be described as: Sesame Street gone wrong. Any sick and/or twisted thought you conjured up about Sesame Street, well, you're not the only one. Here it is in a musical.

To quote the song Schadenfreude from said musical: "Nothing I can do! It's Schadenfreude makin' me feel glad that I'm not you!" Later in the same song, the happiness at the misfortune of others continues...


Nicky: How 'bout straight A students getting B's?
Gary: Exes getting STDs!
Nicky: Waking doormen from their naps!
Gary: Watching tourist reading maps!
Nicky: Football players getting tackled!
Gary: CEOs getting shackled!
Hysterically funny? Yes. But think about it. Society as a whole does it...especially the news.

The May 2008 earthquake in China stands out as a perfect example of schadenfreude and how it has affected society as a whole. I was on vacation in Greece when this natural disaster occured. Not able to understand a damn word of Greek, I received any information deemed newsworthy from BBC News and CNN. As we all know from the pictures and live footage, the destruction was massive and left tens of thousands dead. I understand the need to be "live on the scene" as it is, and likely will remain, one of the worst natural disasters of our lifetime. However, I don't understand the need to interview a grandmother (with help from a translator) who cannont locate any of her family in the rubble. It is highly likely that her children and grandchildren have perished in the devastation, and we're seeing her have a breakdown on national, no...international, television. As a society we thrive on sensationalism, but quite frankly, this was ridiculous.

I experienced wide range of emotions. I was saddened at the death and destruction, disgusted that they continued to interview survivors obviously going through major emotional turmoil; yet I found it somewhat comical with people frantically shifting through the rubble as it resembled a scene from a really bad B movie (I'm blaming the Mythos beer for this). And I caught myself thinking "I'm so glad that's not me. It would suck. I'm happy I'm safe on vacation and not in China." And there it was: on the island of Mykonos I had a schadenfreude experience.

Is it wrong? Definitely.

But again, it reinforces the fact that no one is immune. Schadenfreude is also readily evident with common sayings/catch phrases:

  • "Sucks to be you." I'm willing to bet that everyone has said this. If not, you're lying.
  • "I'm glad I'm not that guy." You've said that too. You know you have.
Or common daily occurances:

  • Being amused when someone is trying to walk a straight line in a 40 mph wind gust.
  • Feeling warm and safe in your home while watching people in the their cars stuck in a snowstorm.
  • Chuckling (or in my case, Nelson's "ha-ha" from The Simpsons) when someone is pulled over for speeding. Admittedly, I do this all the time.

Or on the web:

  • http://www.fmylife.com/: I check this daily. In a strange, twisted way it makes me realize my life could be so much worse and really doesn't suck.

Yes, schadenfreude is alive and well in our daily lives, whether we want to admit it or not.

Now I think I'm going to take the elevator to get a coke and if someone asks me to hold the door, I won't. Then on the ride down, I'm going to laugh at them.


No comments:

Post a Comment