01 July 2010

summerfest = bummerfest

Music. Food. Friends. The Lakefront. Sounds like a recipe for a fabulous time, right?

Well, yes..in theory. The Big Gig, aka Summerfest, has touted itself as "the world's largest music festival". This indeed is true. I mean, where else will you find an event that runs for 11 days with 11 stages filled with all different genres of music.

I myself have been a frequent goer to The Big Gig (including one year where I went seven of 11 days) since my early 20s when I adopted Milwaukee as my "home". Yearly, I had the obligatory Saz's Sampler (sour cream & chive fries, mozz sticks and cheese curds) and a cold, frothy beverage...well, maybe more than one. My college roomies would converge on the fest for at least one day, and likely find others we knew along the way.

But really, Summerfest is all about the music! In my early fest-going days, you could get "hand-stamped' for the main stage - meaning you lined up outside the gates, paid general admission (about $10 at the time) and rushed the Marcus to get that coveted stamp. What did it get you? "Free" grass seat admission to the main stage. As a result, I've seen the following for $10 each: Prince (2x), BoDeans (2x), Violent Femmes/Goo Goo Dolls, Stone Temple Pilots, John Mellencamp, Bon Jovi, Smashing Pumpkins...to name a few.

With the firing of Bo Black (RIP) as Executive Director and the hiring of Don Smiley (coincidence, seeing the logo of Summerfest), this fine tradition died - and the music died as well.

Don't get me wrong, there is still music at Summerfest. However, the music aimed at the mid 30s to early 50s crowd (plus their expendable income) and their children - aka classic rock, pop and country. Case in point, I give you the 2010 headliners:
Classic rock: Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers w/ZZ Top, Eric Clapton w/ Roger Daltrey, Santana w/ Steve Winwood, Rush
Country: Tim McGraw, Brooks & Dunn w/ Kellie Pickler, Carrie Underwood
Poppy Crap: Justin Bieber w/ Sean Kingston, Usher (sans "Yeah"), American Idol tour

I realize that Tom Petty loves Summerfest and vice-versa, and I understand (per my brother who incidentally falls in the target audience) he puts on a great show. But think about it...all the classic rock main stage acts were making music/touring before I was born. Really? The only "new" acts (or at least acts that came of age this millennium) you could find were able to book country and this poppy crap trying to pose as music?

Now I realize that not everyone likes alternative/new rock genre (even though it's the best in my opinion), and that for some odd reason, the general populous likes country music. I also realize that Summerfest as a business needs to make money, and apparently the classic rock and country acts will rake in the dough more than the others. But I ask...where the hell is the alternative genre represented?

I would say on the side stages, but nope. In perusing the schedule most of it is made up of classic rock/80s music including: Night Ranger, Wang Chung, Kool & the Gang, Blue Oyster Cult, 38 Special, Moody Blues, YES, Scorpions and Peter Frampton. True, there are some good songs in this group of aging acts which I like - and I totally rock "Burnin' for You" by Blue Oyster Cult at karaoke. But I seriously thought Wang Chung and Kool & the Gang were dead. And none of these acts have had anything new since about 1990.

I did find some bona fide "new" alternative music, which by Summerfest standards, means their first hit occurred after 2000: Toyko Police Club, Cage the Elephant, Puddle of Mudd, The Bravery and Against Me! That's a mere five of hundreds of acts.

I believe my genre of music just got bitch-slapped by a smiley face.



No comments:

Post a Comment