18 August 2011

have foot, will travel

For quite some time (at least a year), I have been contemplating going car-free.

Seriously.

Living on Milwaukee's "fashionable" east side, I've realizing almost everything I need on a daily basis is within a mile - drug store, grocery store, nightlife, entertainment and even volleyball.  My only reservation was commuting 12 miles to work, as MCTS sometimes does not have the greatest routes or schedules.

Then I decided it would be fun to rear-end a car on I-94 a week ago, and my car decided to retaliate by overheating on Tuesday.  Apparently this is what happens when one demolishes the engine cooling fan in said accident.  Since the car is not drivable (and the bf is conveniently with his car in Minnesota), enter the "big green bus" or the scary world of public transit.

The last time I had to commute to work was when I was living in Bay View - the commute took an hour long bus ride and a 3/4 mile walk.  In the rain (ok, it really did rain once).  And that was a straight shot.  I couldn't imagine how hellish an East Side to West Allis commute would be.  Turns out, it's not so bad even with a transfer downtown.  The #44 Freeway Flyer is a wonderful thing that drops/picks up 3 blocks from work.  It's only a couple blocks between the transfer points, it only live a block away from the bus stop (about 10 blocks total, if you're keeping track) and...it only adds 30 minutes to my total commute.  For real.  But the best part?  I can listen to my iPod, play games or facebook while someone else drives - and I get to be "entertained" by the sights, such as crazy bus riders and bubble gum pink Audis.

I got to thinking:  maybe this IS actually possible.

But what about running errands or grocery shopping or dog food?  

Well, I thought about that too.   I work walking distance to a 'big-box" grocery store, so I can stock the work fridge with lunches.   Plus, I tend to lean toward the European way of grocery shopping - stopping by the store daily to get what you need (and guarantee it's fresh - part of the theory, not necessarily me). There are friends I can probably con into driving me to get dog food or to Target, or to Target to get dog food - for a nominal fee (read: lunch at Arby's).  And there is this little thing called ZipCar, where you can reasonably "rent" a car by the hour - conveniently located on UWM's campus.  For longer trips, there's always Enterprise.  But realistically, I've grown fond of the "pedestrian lifestyle" and tend to walk wherever I can.  Plus, most of the time I do things "in da hood" or I persuade someone else to drive.

Yes, I am still thinking this is possible.  And that it still makes sense.

Globally, I'd be leaving my "carbon footprint" and being eco-friendly - but really, I'm viewing that as an added bonus.  Economically, I would save about $380/month ($4500/year) by not having a car.  That's a number one can't argue with - who wouldn't want an extra chunk of money each month?  Emotionally (aka sanity), driving and other drivers piss me off causing me not to enjoy the experience.  Leaving it to someone else helps me maintain (at least some) stability.  And sanity - in any arena - is a good thing.

This isn't to say that living a car-free lifestyle is permanent.   However, right now it seems to be the way to go.

Seriously.


No comments:

Post a Comment