26 August 2011

birthday wishes 2011 - revised

What a difference a week makes...

While I still intend to adhere to the list (which you can view here), but one wish needs to be added to the very top of the list:  

that my mom wins her battle with pancreatic cancer.

On Saturday, the news hit like a ton of bricks - and it wasn't easy to fully absorb.  In fact, the reality hit about 1:30 am Tuesday when I finally cried (and generally, I'm not a crier).  That's when I stopped asking "why my mom?"  and realized this energy needed to go to support my mom in any way possible.  Right now, I think my "support" is coming in the forms of:  strength and encouragement, a sounding board and comic relief (go figure).  But her daughter saying funny, stupid shit will play a role in her recovery.

Thankfully, my mom is resilient and determined (or as I like to say "a strong stubborn German woman" - yes, that is a compliment - and if anyone can beat this it's a strong, stubborn German woman).  She is also receiving some of the best health care in the world at Johns Hopkins, so I know medically she is good hands.  And either my dad, brother or sister-in-law (and sometimes all three) are going with her to the appointments - which undeniably helps.  Plus, she has her faith.  If you are one of those praying types, my mom would greatly appreciate them.  If not - please send good vibes and happy, healing thoughts her way. 

Most importantly, my mom is staying in good spirits (all things considered) and is living her life to the fullest.  I'm believing she's one of the less that 10% that beats the disease, but I've learned rather quickly to savor every moment of life while you can fully enjoy it.  






No comments:

Post a Comment