16 July 2009

goodbye Sears...hello Willis?


A Chicago icon is no more...in name anyway.

Today the Sears Tower is officially renamed the Willis Tower after Willis Group Holdings, the British insurance outfit that bought the building.

I understand the logic behind the renaming. Sears moved out in 1992. Willis is occupying most of the building and bringing hundreds of jobs to the city. Why wouldn't said company rename the building?

The sentimental side doesn't like it too much. When I see the first glimpse of the Chicago skyline driving down I-94, I get excited. The most prominent building? The Sears, oops, I mean Willis Tower. Walking along Lake Michigan or Navy Pier, there it is in its urban glory.

Sigh. OK, I guess I can call it Willis Tower for one day.

But in the hearts and minds of us Chicago sentimentalists, it will always be the Sears Tower.




No comments:

Post a Comment