14 July 2009

hey now, you're an all-star


Baseball has been, and probably always will be, my favorite professional sport.

I've been a fan since I was six, and vividly remember my first game (but I'll spare you most of the details):

Orioles v. Yankees at the old Memorial Stadium in Baltimore. I attended with my granddad, dad and brother. My other option was to attend a family bridal shower. Given the choice today, I'd still pick the baseball game.

The O's were winning 3-1 in the bottom of the fifth. The Yanks scored 4 runs in the top of the 6th to go ahead 5-3. Then the storm came. A three-hour storm. O's win, 3-1.

And I was hooked.

Now growing up in Maryland just outside DC (pre-Nats era) it's pretty obvious why I'm an O's fan. Being a Cubs fan; that takes a small explanation. My granddad and dad hail from Chicago. The north side of Chicago. They taught me about baseball and at age six, I could be easily influenced; yet I have never wavered from being a Cubs fan. The Cubs are the ultimate underdogs. I like underdogs. And let's face it, I enjoy being a Cubs fan living in Milwaukee - if anything, it annoys people. And that's just fun.

But on the evening of the midsummer classic, we tend to put away rivalries for just one game and focus on the actual game of baseball. We sit back and remember it as "America's pasttime". It's a never-ending story where every game is a new nine-inning chapter and every player has the chance to be the hero.

Thus in honor of the All-Star game and the players past & present, I give you my favorite memories:
  • 1983, Comiskey Park, Chicago - Cal Ripken Jr.'s first all-star appearance (warning: you'll see a theme here)
  • 1990, Wrigley Field, Chicago - It's Wrigley. Ryne Sandberg, one of my all-time favorite players gets to play at his home field. And Mr. Cub himself, Ernie Banks, throws out the first pitch.

  • 1991, SkyDome, Toronto - Cal Ripken Jr. wins MVP

  • 1993, Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Baltimore - Cal Ripken Jr. gets to play at his home field. Jim Palmer is honorary captain. Kirby Puckett wins MVP.

  • 1999, Fenway Park, Boston - All-Century team is named which includes Cubs Ernie Banks and Greg Maddux (well, he started as a Cubbie); and Orioles Jim Palmer, Brooks Robinson, Eddie Murray and my all-time favorite player Cal Ripken Jr.

  • 2001, Safeco Field, Seattle - Cal Ripken Jr.'s final All-Star game. At the start of the game, Alex Rodriguez suggested Ripken move over to his customary shortstop position. An ultimate classy move, and the sole reason I don't completely dislike A-Rod. Ripken hits his first pitch over the left field wall and receives his 2nd MVP.

  • 2002, Miller Park, Milwaukee - The military fly-by route went right over my house. I thought that was uber-cool. The game itself ended in a tie.

So, take me out to the ballgame...



1 comment:

  1. I'm still sad the ML lost. But, I did get to see two of my favorites and relive the joy of St. Louis.

    Oh, and Go Cards!

    ReplyDelete