17 January 2010

double standard should dye


Despite the strides that women have made over the past 100-plus years, the double standard still remains. Men still make more cents on the dollar for equal work. Women often have to work harder for the same amount of prestige. Men's athletics draw more spectators and money than women's athletics (minus figure skating). Men are allowed, by societal standards, to age gracefully while women are encouraged to fight it every step of the way.

Why do I bring this up? I am one of those women who are involved in the fight on aging. Yes, I'll admit it; I dye my hair. I started when I was 17 because I though reddish or purple-ish hair would be cool. I was even platinum blonde for a time. Now, I dye my hair for a completely different reason - I am at least 30% grey.

I've been told that this "natural lightening process" (as I call it) is the only visible sign of aging I show. I believe I'm too young to go grey; even if it is the pretty silvery-grey that will eventually turn winter white. But if I did decide to go au natural, society would frown upon it.

In fact, society frowns upon it no matter what the woman's age. My mother is 70, retired, member of AARP, etc. She's certainly old enough to realistically have grey hair, yet she dyes it as not to appear old or unkempt. My 65-year-old dad, on the other hand, does not dye his hair (and never has). Yes, I inherited his silvery-grey hair; but that's not the point.

The point? Men are considered distinguished when they age gracefully; women are just considered aged. Aged is not only good for men, but wine and cheese as well. Well, why not women? If a woman wants no longer hide the natural color of her locks, she should be able to without question or being scrutinized.

Does this mean I'll stop dyeing my hair anytime soon?

Don't bet on it.


No comments:

Post a Comment