21 January 2010

this is milwaukee, right?

Last I checked I lived in Milwaukee, Wisconsin - not Madison, Wisconsin. Thus, I believe that coverage any college basketball team (i.e. Marquette, UW Milwaukee) based in Milwaukee should take precedence over the one (UW) in Madison.

Before I go any further, perhaps I should preface this by saying I grew up with a dislike of the Badgers. I know what you're thinking: "But Bec, you grew up out east in the DC area. Why do you dislike the red and white so?" First, red and white are also University of Maryland colors; and in my world, they alwaus will be first and foremost. Second, my granddad was a proud Northwestern alum. Third, and likely the most relevant in this matter, my mother went to University of Minnesota. That Paul Bunyan axe? Well, it doesn't belong in Madison.

OK, maybe the fact I'm a Marquette alum also plays into this ever-so-slightly.

However, back to the original disgruntlement at hand. Last night both Marquette and Wisconsin played a game on the hardcourt and obviously, coverage of both games was on the news. Since TMJ-4 is a Milwaukee-based station, logically and logistically Marquette should be covered before Wisconsin, right? Wrong! Wisconsin v. Michigan THEN Marquette v. DePaul. Now, I don't know nor do I care about the results of this (or any) Wisconsin game. However, the Marquette was actually a big deal but definitely not in a good way. (Really...DePaul? A team that hadn't won a Big East game in two years until last night?).

Maybe I'm a mildly enthusiastic and biased Marquette alum; but I truly feel that in Milwaukee, Marquette should largely receive top-billing when it comes to college hoops. That being said, I do realize there is another Milwaukee NCAA Division I university. For you UW-Milwaukee fans and alum, I think UWM should receive priority coverage over Wisconsin as well. In some cases UWM can and rightfully should even precede Marquette (yes, I wrote that), like in the past when they have defeated Top 25 Butler.

Bottom line: This is Milwaukee. Support the Milwaukee universities, dammit!

No comments:

Post a Comment