05 October 2010

feels like home

Despite living in Wisconsin the better part of my adult life, I will always consider Maryland home. Yet I never plan to reside there (or on the east coast for that matter) again. In reality, I'm more suited for life in a Midwestern or Pacific northwest city.

But in honor of my "triumphant" return to my old stomping grounds this week, I give you the reasons you'll know I'm a Marylander for life:
  • Everything tastes better with Old Bay.
  • The only real crab cake is a Maryland crab cake - accept no imitations.
  • Anything below 32 degrees is still considered cold.
  • A 2" dusting of snow should still merit a 2-hour delay at minimum. Anything above 6" merits a snow day.
  • It's pronounced "Merlind"; "Mareland" is acceptable. If you pronounce is "Mary land" I will punch you.
  • Cal Ripken Jr. is revered as a god among men; he is our hometown hero and #8 forever in our hearts.
  • “Fear the Turtle” is more than a saying; it's a way of life during tourney time.
  • We shout "O" at the verse "Oh, say does that star spangled banner yet wave..." during the National Anthem (even at inappropriate times/events).
  • "Coke" refers to any carbonated beverage. For example, "What kind of coke do you have?"
  • Coolest. State. Flag. Ever.
  • “Beer and football..that’s what Maryland does." (thank you, Wedding Crashers)
  • And finally...the distinct Maryland "o". And no, I don’t say my “o’s” funny.

No comments:

Post a Comment