03 January 2011

xmas, DC style

Well, it's now the 3rd day of 2011. The holidays have come and gone; and now it's time to get back to the grind known as "life"....

Yet it's never a bad idea to reminisce about the past, no matter how recent.

I did manage to sneak in a slightly more than 48 hour (52, to be exact) jaunt out to DC to visit the immediate fam for Christmas. The reasons for the short visit include the Caye-guy factor and the "interesting" situation with my parents (which could be a blog entry in and of itself) - oh, and a $135 plane ticket.

I spent Christmas Eve with Mom. Once I got home, I had to call Clyde's to make dinner reservations. Why this fine tradition has been bestowed upon me, I have no idea. But - 10 pm dinner reservations...check. Next on the list: gift wrapping. I started wrapping presents and, in typical fashion, Mom "commented" on my inability to cut a straight line whilst cutting the paper. You try cutting paper on a table not big enough for the gifts. Honestly, I don't think Gavin or Liam or Dad cared (or even noticed). A lot of tape and jagged edges later...gift wrapping complete. This was followed by going to Christmas Eve mass. Now, I am not a church-goer and as a result, I have been referred to as a "Santa Baby", meaning I only go to church on Christmas. Oh well. If it makes Mom happy, I can oblige. Maybe that's why she never objects to listening to "John Denver & the Muppets: A Christmas Together" CD repeatedly. (Note: Best. Christmas. CD. Ever.) Although I should have had Bailey's before mass, not after. Dinner at Clyde's, as always, was fabulous.

Christmas Day began with Mom & I opening presents, and eating sticky buns (and me picking off the icky nuts and giving them to Mom). This year, it was anti-climatic as Mom bought her gift previously (and I still had to wrap it) and I'd already gotten a chunk of mine ($$ for a LCD TV, which has yet to be purchased). However, I am happy to report that my Newsweek subscription is renewed until 2015. Dad came over, and it was off to my brother's for Christmas festivities.
(Yes, my brother hosted us, plus Kelly's mom & Willie, this year. Due to the "stellar" communication skills Dad's family possesses, no one got back to Mom so she decided not to host. Go Mom!)

Once in the car, Dad turned off the Muppets CD. Blasphemy! However, we got my brother's and I told him, so he put the Muppets on repeat. Three times of repeat. All was now well with the world. Well, I'm sure the large quantities of alcohol my brother and I were drinking helped too. I think Liam wanted in on the action too but he was brutally rebuffed.


And what is Christmas without presents? Bring it! Now, when there are a three and one year old around, there are LOTS of presents. It's crazy! My brother and I concluded that when you are an adult child, you get screwed at Christmas. Apparently the fleece blankets I made were a hit, even if Gavin thought the lizards on his blanket were frogs. Frogs, lizards...close enough right? And what Christmas would be complete without a visit from Santa? My only complaint...Santa indirectly called me fat (ummm...Santa could lose a few too). But the kids were entertained - loved it may be too strong of words. See for yourself...


Sunday consisted of watching football...and the Redskins actually winning by a field goal in OT. Funny, that's how they won when I was there in October as well. Oh and monitoring the weather for the blizzard that literally hit the coast. Seriously, DC got about an inch which resulted in safe travels back to Mil-town.

Overall, it was a good Christmas. On some level, I missed seeing my aunts, uncles and cousins even if I really have nothing in common with them. But family is family and there will always be that bond, whether I want it or not. However, seeing Gavin and Liam on Christmas more than made up for it.

Here's hoping you and yours had a happy holidays!



No comments:

Post a Comment