25 January 2011

played into hibernation

It is not a fun time to be a Bears fan in Packer Nation.

Truth be told, it never really is. However, when the prize for winning the game is a ticket to Super Bowl XLV, it's just that much more fun.

Yes, that was sarcastic.

To be fair, I (partially) brought it upon myself. I was trash-talking Packers fans all week. And as much as I wanted the Bears to punch their ticket to the Super Bowl, my gut was saying otherwise (admittedly, I picked the Packers to win). But I continued to trash-talk nonetheless; even during the game where at times I wondered if the Bears would decide to show up and play.

All in good fun, right? Right....until Monday morning.

I'm the only Bears fan in my office, and I wore black in mourning. It was duly noted by numerous co-workers that the Bears lost. And yes, I did expect it. My boss even brought it up in a meeting - just to razz me. The only upside is that I won $20 in the Packer pool for the week. However, I would have preferred a Bears win.

Really, I don't mind "the Bears still suck" comments (note: I actually think that's a funny song by Happy Schnapps Combo even if I don't agree with it) and other assorted smack from people I talk to or see on a regular basis, or those I consider my good friends. I view it as what it's intended - a friendly rivalry, maybe in a twisted way, a sign of affection. What I don't like is people who rarely bother to talk to me otherwise finding it appropriate to talk smack. The camaraderie just isn't there, and thus, it almost seems slightly malicious.

In the end, we all have to remember it's just a game (albeit a big game). The Packers played better and deserved to win. Although I am happy to see the Bears have a formidable back-up QB in Hanie. And I hope the Packers beat the crap out of the Steelers.

Until NFL 2011...BEAR DOWN!

No comments:

Post a Comment