04 February 2011

six-month (and a couple days) check-up

Wednesday during Snowpocalypse 2011, it did dawn on my that it was also Groundhog Day - which coincidentally is my half-birthday. I would like to note that Puxatony Phil usually never gives me a good half-birthday present as the little bastard sees his shadow. This year Phil didn't see his shadow, but with snow drifts currently taller than me in Milwaukee, I question his accuracy of an early spring.

But that also means it's time for that six-month check-up of "birthday wishes 2010". (If you're so inclined, you can also view the three-month review.)

I know you were on the edge of your seat waiting for this, so....
  • promote/develop my freelance design "business" (using that term loosely) - Still a work in progress, but getting closer. I've started to update my rjl creative site to add writing samples and (fingers crossed) I'll eventually add some photos taken at facilities. But have I made the effort to really promote it...eh, not really.
  • a MacBook - Same request as three-months ago: If anyone would like to purchase one for me, it would be much appreciated. Maybe I should use the Christmas $$$ intended for a LCD TV for this instead....
  • take more photographs (those of the artsy, landscape variety) - I did take some cool pics of my nephews over Christmas, not artsy but photography nonetheless. When the weather gets warmer, I'll likely do more landscape shots.(Again, judge for yourself here.)
  • learn to play bass - Ummmm, I went to a Rock Band NYE party and didn't even touch the bass there. Maybe this was a lofty goal/wish. It would also help if I actually had a bass.
  • catch up with friends I haven't seen much in the past year - Still rockin' this one. In fact, I've been told by a certain someone I talk on the phone a lot.
  • keep in touch with friends I actually see - Despite it being winter, the season in which I'm more reclusive, I've actually braved the elements and seen people. Except for the hashers; it's too damn cold to be hashing.
  • visit friends in faraway places - specifically those in Florida, Arizona and Connecticut - who I keep promising I'll visit - The ball is rolling to visit Arizona - just need to find a non-insanely priced plane ticket. Tickets to DC for less than $150 round-trip have spoiled me. Still no headway on Florida or Connecticut, and the June Philly trip is still up in the air.
  • teleportation to see said friends and my nephews more often - Yet another lofty goal/wish. But I did see my nephews at Christmas and my brother is coming to visit at the end of April so that's close, right?
  • travel internationally without my mom - Nope.
  • the adapter thingie that allows you to use your iPod in the car - Thanks to a great bf, I got one for my birthday...and I haven't broken it yet!
  • a Wii Fit - I'm still thinking I'd rather have an LCD TV. Now it's just a matter of using that Christmas $$$ to buy it. Target has some good deals this week...hmmm....
  • lose that last 20 lbs - I still don't own a scale, and I wouldn't even look at the scale at the doctor's office. However, I wasn't told I NEEDED to lose weight so I must be in my weight range. All I know is some of my clothes are looser and I wear a medium in some clothes. Funny thing is I really don't know what the hell I'm doing to promote this.
  • manage my finances more effectively - I would be more effective at this if I didn't have to pay insurance deductibles. Damn deductibles. However, I'm still better than I have been in recent years.
  • actually watch some shows I've DVRed - I may have actually watched a couple shows. I'm really bad at this.
  • become more involved with the K-Family again - Not only is that membership form turned in, I attended a holiday social which was a lot of fun. Hoping to make it to a service project in the near future.
  • world peace (sorry I had to) - Given the recent events in Egypt....yeah, right.
  • instead of complaining about something, do something to change it - Ok, I still complain...but then I work on changing it. Yes, this is the same as three months ago.
  • give up diet Dew - I'll admit it. I had one at a party in November. I was driving, had a 1/2 hour drive back and needed caffeine. This was the only available option. The good thing is that I didn't want another one later. Come to think of it, I haven't even had caffeine in six days and I'm not dead. I'm impressed.

No comments:

Post a Comment