12 July 2011

2010 wishes...looking back

In a mere three weeks from today, I will not be moving into another age demographic as I embark on another year of life.  However, those who know my birth year know how old I'm turning.  Please don't mention the number, even though I think I've come to terms with it.

About a year ago, I wrote my "birthday wishes 2010" list.  I figure now's as good of time as any to see if any of these wishes did indeed come true.....
  • promote/develop my freelance design "business" (using that term loosely) - It may always be a work in progress (as design and the creative process usually is) but my rjl creative site is completed and fully operational.  It even gets updated on occasion. Now I just need to get word out that I am accepting freelance jobs.   So again...if you know anyone that needs a graphics/communications person....(wink, wink, nudge, nudge).
  • a MacBook -  I still want one - it will complement my iPhone quite nicely.  Although, I did ask my dad if he knew of anyone selling one.  As much as I want a new one, I doubt I can afford it.
  • take more photographs (those of the artsy, landscape variety) - If I stopped playing with my iPhone as of late, I would probably do this more.  Overall, I took less photos than I would have liked.  However, I did take some cool cemetery shots - which I will eventually upload.
  • learn to play bass - I have to laugh at this one.  I never touched a bass (instrument or fish variety).  Oh well.
  • catch up with friends I haven't seen much in the past year - I think I have either talked to, e-mailed, texted or IMed almost everyone.  Success!
  • keep in touch with friends I actually see - Again, thanks go to: Baker's Square, Brady Street, Wrigleyville and Tracks Tavern (oh, and beer) plus Summerfest, Ale House and WH3 for making this possible. I like this social butterfly thing...
  • visit friends in faraway places - specifically those in Florida, Arizona and Connecticut - who I keep promising I'll visit - Epic fail.  I made it to Chicago.  That's not too impressive.  Actually, it's kind of pathetic.
  • teleportation to see said friends and my nephews more often - Maybe since we no longer have the space shuttle program, we can work on this.  Is teleportation really even possible?
  • travel internationally without my mom - Ha ha ha....
  • the adapter thingie that allows you to use your iPod in the car - It still works!  The iPod, however, has been tempermental as of late.
  • a Wii Fit - I changed this to a LCD-TV...and I got one!  Success!
  • lose that last 20 lbs - I still have a strong refusal to step on the scale and look at the number, so perhaps a number goal was a poor choice.  I can tell you my clothes are looser and four people in the past week asked me if I lost weight.  I'll take it as a success...
  • manage my finances more effectively - Much better than in recent memory.  My only debt is my car and surgery bill (only $1200 left!!!).  I won't mention the amount owed on the car.
  • actually watch some shows I've DVRed -  Not an epic fail, but I'm just not good a this.  I figure I'll live if this isn't successful.  Although I fully intent to watch the DVRed WWC semi after work.
  • become more involved with the K-Family again - Dues paid! Now if I could make it to a scheduled event.   However, the CKI segment still continues to think I never existed. It still stings, but it's their loss (pun intended).
  • world peace (sorry I had to) - I guess there's always that one wish/goal that would be great if it happens, but likely never, ever will.
  • instead of complaining about something, do something to change it - I think I complain less.  This might be because I attempt to do something before it gets that far.
  • give up diet Dew - I was good for a while.  I think I just drink more Dew in the summer.  However, it's only one a day and no where near the 12-pack/day habit.  Baby steps, right?

Overall, I feel I was successful.  I stumbled a bit at times, but that's part of life.  

As this year draws to a close, I'm excited to see what next year will bring...and what I'll wish for in 2011 (to be revealed in a couple weeks).

No comments:

Post a Comment