11 August 2010

material issue?

But Will It Make You Happy? (Leah Hash for The New York Times)



She had so much.



A two bedroom apartment. Two cars. Enough wedding chine to serve two dozen people.



Yet Tammy Strobel wasn't happy. Working as a project manager with an investment management firm in Davis, Calif., and making about $40,000 a year, she was, as she put it, caught in the "work-spend treadmill".

So one day she stepped off.

Inspired by books and blog entries about living simply, Ms. Strobel and her husband, Logan Smith, both 31, began donating some of their belongings to charity. As the months passed, out went stacks of sweaters, shoes, books, pots and pans, even the television after a trial separation during which it was relegated to a closet. Eventually, they got rid of their cars, too. Emboldened by a web site that challenges consumers to live with just 100 personal items, Ms. Strobel winnowed down her wardrobe and toiletries to precisely that number.



Her mother called her crazy.



Today, three years after Ms. Strobel and Mr. Smith began downsizing, they live in Portland, Ore., in a spare, 400-square foot studio with a nice-sized kitchen. Mr. Smith is completing a doctorate in physiology; Ms. Strobel happily works from home as a Web designer and freelance writer. She owns four plates, three pairs of shoes and two pots. With Mr. Smith in his final weeks of school, Ms. Strobel's income of about $24,000 a year covers their bills. They are still car-free but have bikes. One other thing they no long have: $30,000 of debt.



See full article

This got me thinking...do the materialistic things really make us happy?

It's a thought-provoking question, especially after giving this article a read. I'd like to think I'm slightly ahead of the curve on this one, as I inadvertently started doing this 18 months ago. There's a bit of back-story, so bear with me.

In February 2009, Grandmom passed away after two-plus years of her health being compromised. Grandmom grew up during the depression and was poor as a child, thus the propensity to save everything...money, documents, clothes, etc. I understand this rationale and didn't think anything of it, until we went into her basement after the funeral. Holy crap, the term "pack rat" took on a whole new meaning. Why on earth would one save all this...well, crap?

This was the first epiphany. If got hit by the proverbial bus, who would sift through all my stuff? When I got home, I started spring cleaning...never mind that I was a month or so early. Clothes were donated, old documents were shredded - you get the idea. I think I might have even cleaned thought no one was coming to visit.

Fast forward a few months. It was just just me and Caye, as Lily had been put down in June 2009. Reassessing my living situation, I realized that having a two-story flat was pointless for me and one dog - especially since I rarely used the second level. Furthermore, the monthly dwelling payment was a little too high for my tastes (and one income). Truth be told, I was contemplating a move since the divorce was finalized in fall 2008 so the concept wasn't really new...taking action was.

Thus came the second epiphany. I could move to the area of the city I wanted. I have always loved the east side (by far my favorite Milwaukee "borough") and my search began. There was no way in hell I could afford a condo or house on the east side, so renting it was. Now, the issue was trying to find a place that had no breed and no weight restrictions for dogs. Well, I found that so the move was on. But it also begged the question: how does one downsize from a two-story, two-bedroom flat to a one-bedroom apartment?

Well, get rid of crap of course! Goodwill probably loved my frequent trips. Let's face it, I, of all people, do not need three sets of pots & pans. I also utilized craigslist.com, and I think I sold enough to actually cover a good chunk of my security deposit (now could someone just take my wedding dress, please?) So yes, all my worldly belongings are in a one-bedroom apartment minus what my mom wishes I would take from her house (sorry Mom, you'll have to keep SuperPickle for now) and storage bins. I realized when you have less room to put crap, it makes you think before you buy that cool home decor piece or random thing-a-ma-jiggie. Since I'm moved, I've spent a lot less money on "non-essentials" which isn't necessarily a bad thing. The significant drop in living expenses isn't bad either.

As a result I actually saved money. What a concept! And then I had a third epiphany. I wondered why I was paying a large chunk of change (read: rent or mortgage payment) for my car payment and insurance. Don't get me wrong, my Versa was awesome - but seeing I maybe drive 8000 miles a year did it make sense putting that much of my monthly income into a car? Thankfully, I had a clause that I could return the car if desired - and I took advantage of it. In late June, I became the proud owner of Clyde, a 1989 Camry. He's rough around the edges, but he's a good little car. And I really like not having any monthly car payment (outside of insurance) and owning it outright. I'll probably need another epiphany to determine what to do with those excess funds, but right now can you say savings account?

While 100 personal items total (I'm sure my hair products alone constitute 10 items) and dismissing my television all-together seems a bit (scratch that...a lot) drastic, maybe I can forgo the hair gel and kill my television for a few hours. And perhaps when I buy new clothes, I can donate some to Goodwill.

But I'm happy with what I have - both tangible and non-tangible - and I'm not too concerned with what I don't have. I figure if I don't have it, I don't really need it.

That kind of makes the material stuff insignificant, doesn't it?

No comments:

Post a Comment